Natural gas is a vital component of the world's supply of energy, a fossil fuel formed when layers of buried plants and animals are exposed to intense heat and pressure over thousand of years. It is the cleanest, safest and most useful of all energy sources. It is consumed in residential, commercial, industrial and utility market.
Physical Properties of Natural Gas
- Natural gas is non toxic.
- It is lighter than air.
- It is colorless.
- It is odorless. Mercaptan is added to the gas to give an odor but
the odorant does not affect the gas in any other manner.
- It reduces our dependence on foreign oil imports.
- It contributes to a cleaner environment.
- Does not support life and can be suffocating when displaces oxygen.
- It is made of hydrocarbons. The main component is methane which
is a very unreactive component.
- It has narrow combustion limits. It will ignite only when there
is an air and gas mixture of between 5 and 15 percent natural gas.
- Ignition point : 593 degree C
- Relative density : 0.3 m/s +
- It has a flammability range of 4.5% to 14.5%
- It undrgoes uninhibited chain reaction.
- When gas is burned completely carbon dioxide and water vapor are produced.